Updated on March 8, 2023
No one wants wasps flying near their home as these insects are dangerous and can sting you multiple times.
So if you find a wasp nest near your house, the first thing you’ll want to do is to get rid of it. So, how does one do that?
The obvious choice would be some commercial wasp killing spray but in many cases, you don’t need to spend money on these products.
You may have already heard about soapy water for wasps being a good home remedy, but there are others that can also be used to repel wasps, yellow jackets, and even hornets from your property.
Today, we are going to talk specifically about peppermint oil being used in a wasp spray. But does peppermint oil repel wasps? And if so, how exactly do you use it? So, let’s get started.
Can Peppermint Oil Be Used for Wasp Control?
Yes, peppermint oil can repel wasps, dirt daubers, yellow jackets, and hornets.
There are many people who have used this essential oil as a home remedy to repel wasps from their property.
But, do you know what the problem is with such home remedies? Sometimes, they don’t give you the desired results.
Related: What Do Wasps Eat and Drink?
There are chances that sometimes you might not prepare the solution in the right concentration, or applying the spray might not be done correctly. Both of these would result in peppermint oil being ineffective.
In essence, you can try this home remedy to get rid of these insects but, make sure you follow this method step by step so that you don’t do anything wrong.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL PEPPERMINT OIL - Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!...
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential...
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE AND DROPPER – Our essential oil comes in an amber...
How to Make a Peppermint Oil Wasp Spray
This peppermint oil wasp spray is very easy to prepare. You just have to mix a few things, but make sure you follow each and everything.
- The first thing you’ve to do is take a spray bottle and fill it with 4 oz. of vinegar and 4 oz. of water.
- Then, add about 5 to 6 ml of peppermint essential oil.
- Attach the top of the spray bottle and shake to mix all the ingredients.
- Once you have this mixture prepared, it’s time to use it on the target.
- Wait until dusk and locate the wasp nest.
- Spray the prepared solution directly on it to saturate the nest.
- Be aware that when you spray the peppermint solution on them, they can get angry and sting you. So, be prepared, and stay protected; wear full sleeve clothes and pants. You can also wear a mask and gloves.
- The strong scent of peppermint and other ingredients will repel them away from the nest and your property.
- It is also important to spray the solution on other places where they can make a nest.
- For best results, use this peppermint oil wasp spray every few days to completely eliminate the wasps.
What if Peppermint Oil Doesn’t Repel the Wasps?
There are chances that something wrong happens, and this home remedy doesn’t work. Don’t get disheartened though, you have more options that you can try.
There are also some other home remedies to try and some commercial products like wasp foggers and bombs.
And if you still don’t get the results you need or you can’t locate or reach a wasp nest, then you have only one option. Call in the pros.
- KILLS ON CONTACT: Hot Shot Wasp and Hornet Killer controls wasps, hornets,...
- UP TO 27 FOOT JET SPRAY: With a jet spray that reaches up to 27 feet, you can...
- NON-STAINING: This product is non-staining to most home siding depending on age...
Dealing With Wasps Through Professional Pest Control
Peppermint oil and other home remedies can definitely get rid of wasps; however they may not be 100% effective if you have a severe wasp infestation.
The cost of a wasp exterminator is well worth it, especially in severe cases.
Pest control companies have experience in dealing with these insects, and they have access to professional grade insecticides that work faster and for longer periods than what you can find on a store shelf.
Click the link below to get free quotes from multiple local pest control companies to help choose an exterminator who is economical, effective, and can eliminate these pests for good.
I hope this article answers your question about whether peppermint oil can really repel wasps (yes it can!) However, when making this peppermint oil repellent, make sure to follow the step-by-step approach.
Don’t just mix all of them in a random concentration and expect positive results. This way, it’ll not be very effective, and you may think that this home remedy is a waste of time.
In essence, peppermint oil can repel wasps but only if you use it properly and as instructed.
- How to Keep Mice Out of Dresser Drawers - July 20, 2022
- What Color Light Do Roaches Hate the Most? - May 21, 2022
- Does Gasoline Kill Termites? (How About Diesel, Motor Oil, or Petrol?) - April 4, 2022