Updated on March 2, 2022
Spiders can be a big nuisance and disrupt your mental peace in case of an infestation. They can easily make unsightly webs in hard to reach (yet easy to see) areas and some spider types can even turn out to be poisonous.
There are various ways to repel the spiders. Some of these involve pesticides, eucalyptus, spider bombs, and even professional extermination.
However, there are various chemical-free products as well that can be used to get rid of the spiders in your house.
Many have successfully used eucalyptus but lavender has also been known to help. But can lavender really repel spiders? Let’s find out.
- ESSENTIAL AROMATHERAPY - Lavender is soothing, normalizing and balancing with a...
- NATURAL/RESPONSIBLY MADE - This oil is extracted through steam distillation of...
- 100% PURE/UNDILUTED - Our essential oils are highly concentrated and 100% pure...
Does Lavender Repel Spiders?
Lavender is a plant and is often made into an essential oil that can help you in repelling the spiders.
It has a strong, sweet-smelling aroma that is refreshing to us but can be extremely irritating to many pests, including spiders.
It’s important to note that lavender won’t kill spiders, but the essential oils present in it can help in driving away any spiders in the vicinity.
How to Use Lavender to Repel Spiders
There can be various ways to use lavender to repel the spiders. You can easily use the method below to get the desired results.
Again, lavender won’t help you kill the spiders in your home; they will merely repel them from the area the lavender is in. It’s usually enough to keep spiders away from say your bed, couch, or kitchen counter and move them out of sight and out of mind (like in your walls).
To make a lavender spider repelling mixture, you will need the following ingredients:
- Take an empty spray bottle (dark glass is best but plastic will also work) and fill with tap water almost to the top.
- Add about 10 drops of lavender essential oil. It’s important the the oil be 100% pure and not loaded with fillers.
- Add a couple drops of dish soap (like Dawn). This will help the lavender oil mix with the water.
- Attach the the spray trigger to the top of the bottle and lightly shake the bottle so everything combines.
You should spray this mixture on any possible spider entry points (ie: baseboards, window frames, door creases, back of cabinets, etc.) and anywhere else you’ve seen spiders. You will need to reapply every few days since the lavender scent dissipates.
The smell of lavender oil will make the area smell fresh and keep spiders away.
- 2 pack of bottles with uv protection that protects against degradation from...
- Great design that fits in your hand but is large enough that you will not have...
- Save money, help the environment, and reduce plastic chemicals in your house...
Other Home Remedies to Use Along with Lavender
There are other various home remedies which can be used along with lavender in order to repel spiders. Some of the best natural repellents include:
This essential oil can easily be found online or at various local stores such as health stores, vitamin stores, and superstores such as Walmart and Target.
You can also make your own peppermint oil at your home with the help of peppermint leaves.
The smell of peppermint repels spiders and keeps them away from your home.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL PEPPERMINT OIL - Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!...
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential...
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE AND DROPPER – Our essential oil comes in an amber...
The smell of lemon is another scent that repels spiders as they hate it.
You can use the same method to create a lemon juice spray as shown in our article on how to repel fleas from problem areas.
Lemon juice scent not only works for spiders and fleas but also many other insects that may feel welcome in your home.
Borax powder is one of the best DIY remedies used to get rid of the spiders in houses.
Instead of simply keeping spiders away, it will actually kill smaller spiders after coming on contact with the powder.
Make sure to keep it out of the reach of children and pets, since borax is toxic and can prove harmful to them.
However, if there’s a serious infestation, don’t simply start spreading borax all over the house. It’d be better (and safer) to enlist the help of an exterminator.
They will not only help you get rid of the spiders but will also make sure that the spiders don’t come back to your house for an extended period.
- All-natural design safely keeps clothes fresh and clean
- Odor control eliminates smells to keep clothing fresh
- Basic compound adjusts pH levels to provide deep clean
Exterminating Spiders Through Pest Control
Although we’ve all dealt with spiders in our home, it’s always better to hire a professional to deal with these buggers in case of a serious infestation.
They can not only help make your house spider-free for an extended period of time, but they can also find common entry points in your home to keep new ones from coming in.
To get a multiple free quotes from local spider control experts, click the link below.
It is safe to assume that lavender has plenty of benefits. From keeping your house smelling great to repelling spiders and other bugs, lavender oil is quite versatile.
But for this natural remedy to work, you need to make sure that you spray the lavender oil solution regularly in the right areas so it can do its job.
Home remedies can usually take some time to work effectively. However, in due time, lavender has shown positive results and has successfully repelled spiders and various insects.
So be patient with the process and your house will be spider-free sooner than later.